Pink Lady® Apple tart
Pink Lady® Apple tart
Serves: 8 - 12
- 500ml (300g) stone ground cake flour
- 45ml (3 tbsp) caster sugar
- 7,5ml (½ Tbsp) finely grated lemon rind
- 180ml (180g) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 large egg yolks
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) ice cold water
- Apple filling
- 500g (about 4) Pink Lady® Apples, with the skin on
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) lemon juice
- 5ml (1 tsp) finely grated lemon rind
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) butter
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) honey
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) ground cardamom
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) ground allspice
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground mixed spice
- 0,6ml (⅛ tsp) ground cloves
- 100ml (65g) dried cranberries
- Almond filling
- 60ml (¼ cup) soft butter
- 80ml (⅓ cup) caster sugar
- 75ml (60g) ground almonds
- 0,6ml (⅛ tsp) vanilla powder or 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Place flour, sugar, lemon rind and butter in a mixing bowl. Rub butter into the dry ingredients with your fingertips to resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the egg yolks and water. Mix by hand or with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and gently form it into a ball of pastry. This process can also be done in the two steps in a food processor.
- Divide pastry into one-third and two-thirds. Shape the two pieces into balls and flatten with the palm of your hand. Wrap both pieces in cling film and refrigerate for about 1 hour. (Prepare the apple filling in the meantime.)
- Place the bigger piece of pastry onto a lightly floured work surface or a large piece of baking paper. Roll out to a circle, big enough to line the base and sides of a 25cm tart dish.
- Line the tart dish and cut off any excess pastry. Prick the pastry base with a fork and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place a piece of baking paper on top of the pastry in the tart dish and fill with baking beans or dried beans. Blind bake for 10-15 minutes or until just cooked. Remove the baking paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes or until cooked and lightly golden brown. Allow to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 °C.
- On a large piece of baking paper, roll out the remaining piece of pastry to about 26 cm in diameter. Using heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut a few hearts out of the pastry, but keep the shapes as decorations. Place baking paper with pastry and hearts on a tray, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Cut apples into quarters, core and then cut each quarter into 4-5 wedges. Mix the apples with the lemon juice and rind. Place butter and honey in a large saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Add the spices and mix through. Stir in the apple mixture to coat with the spice mixture.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Take care not to overcook the apples – they should be tender, but not mushy. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined and no butter lumps are visible. Spread onto the cooled pastry base.
- Spoon cooled apple filling on top of the almond filling and sprinkle cranberries over.
- Lightly brush the edge of the tart base with a little water to help stick the uncooked pastry on top of it. Remove heart cut-outs from baking paper and set aside.
- Flip over the chilled, rolled out pastry layer onto the tart filling with the baking paper. Peel off the baking paper. This helps to retain the shape of the rolled-out pastry. Carefully crimp down the edges of the pastry with a fork.
- Arrange the heart cut-outs on top of the pastry and lightly stick it down with a little water, gently pressing it onto the pastry top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the almond filling is cooked and the pastry is golden brown.
- Enjoy the tart hot or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream, Greek yoghurt, custard or cream.